9/19/2013

A little about me....and my new hobby too!

Aside from running A Charming Story Boutique, I'm a wife and Mommy of a super fun and adorable 17 month old. Mr. O keeps me busy most of the days and right now we are in a stage where he keeps me ALWAYS on my toes. I have a passion for hosting events and making people feel loved by doing special things for them. 

My most recent creative outlet has been decorating sugar cookies. Before I began my research on making the PERFECT sugar cookie I was content buying the Pillsbury dough from the store... boy did I not know what I was missing out on! 


Basic Sugar Cookie Recipe for Cut out Cookies
3 cups (450grams) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
2 sticks (1cup, 226grams)butter, unsalted, softened to room temperature
1 cup (200grams)granulated sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1tbl vanilla extract, vanilla bean past or almond extract
Flavor options: I also like to use lemon zest with combination of vanilla extract or lemon extract, or orange zest.
  • Sift together flour, baking powder, add salt, set aside.
  • In a small dish whisk together egg and vanilla extract, set aside.
  • In a mixing bowl cream together room temperature butter and sugar, about 5 minutes, scrape the bowl twice. Butter creamed with sugar  should be light and fluffy.
  • Gradually add vanilla egg mixture, beating anywhere from 30 seconds to minute until well mixed in.
  • Now gradually in 3 additions add flour. Lower the speed of your mixer to low. Scrape the bowl well after the last addition and beat just until flour is combined.
  • Scrape the cookie dough into a large bowl, and using your hands knead the cookie dough  for about 30 to 60 seconds, until dough comes together.
  • Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight(8hours) or minimum 4hours.
  • Preheat oven to 375F(190C)
  • Divide cookie dough in half. Roll one half of the cookie dough into about 1/4 inch thick, between 2 pieces of parchment paper using rolling guides on each side of the dough.(2 painter's sticks glued together on each side, or 2 pieces of 1/4inch molding)
  • Cut out as many cookies as you can. Place the cookies on a light colored baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill the cut outs in the fridge for about 15 minutes, or in the freezer 8 minutes.
  • Bake for 9minutes, depending on the oven, turn the sheet once half way through the baking.
  • Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5-7 minutes, transfer to cooling rack.
  • Store in the airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze undecorated cookies between pieces of wax paper in a large freeze safe container, for up to 2 months.
  • Decorate cookies as desired with royal icing or other medium that you use
    MY BEST ADVISE: DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS ABOVE! :) 
    A friend of mine encouraged me to watch some tutorials on Sweet Sugarbelles website and my new addiction was born. I have had so much fun creating and trying to master the art of sugar cookie making. By no means am I an expert but so many people have asked me where I found my recipes or techniques so I thought a blog about it would help pass the word along. :)

    The secret to the perfect icing is Meringue Powder which can be purchased at Hobby Lobby, Michael's or Joann's. Make sure to take a coupon because a small jar of it costs about $5.99! 

    I have found that Sweet SugarBelle's recipe is my favorite and you can find it here: http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/2011/04/royal-icing-101-or-all-roads-lead-to-rome/

    My best advice is do a trial batch and see what works for you.... everyone has a different technique that they find most helpful and you won't know what works for you until you give it a whirl. :)

    Here are some pictures of some cookies and other goodies that I made for my sister in laws babyshower recently:






    I have also made these cookies for a friend bridal shower.... 


    If you don't have a creative outlet I encourage you to find one. SO.MUCH.FUN! 

    If you have any cookie questions I'm happy to help! Just leave a comment below. :)






0 COMMENTS:




Followers




Powered by Blogger.